Monday, January 09, 2006

Thoughts and indecisions

The results of my career placement exam that I took in high school were definitive and unwavering; the higher powers that be who formulated the very technologically advanced, statistical test (note the resounding sarcasm) were over 98% sure that I should become either a forensic expert or crime-solving agent. Obviously somewhere down the line, the fledgling 2% won out, and here I am 7 years later nowhere near wailing sirens, sophisticated spy equipment, or anything CSI-esque for that matter. I have to say, I don’t wake up every morning to the self-indignant voice of doubt. For the most part, I’m happy with where my choices thus far have taken me.

However, the fashion in which I spend the latter half of my weekends does cast a somewhat grey cloud of doubt, but normally almost too miniscule to notice. Sundays are now spent at my parents’ house, accompanying my mom on grocery and other errand-related outings, which takes up the majority of the morning. In the afternoon, we tackle the large task of preparing a normally pretty elaborate Sunday evening family dinner, perhaps in an effort to repent for the thrown together meals of the weeknights prior. The constancy and routine are warmly comforting, like fleecy slippers right out of the drier.

All those little tasks that keep a household up and running fluidly have always been on my list of small joys, and the idea of doing them for loved ones only makes them that much more prominent. Maybe being a housewife forever doesn’t sound as appealing as having the opportunity to love and serve my family in a committed way in the short-term, but it’s just a thought, after all…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home