Monday, January 09, 2006

Of friend and folly


I think it’s probably a very rare occurrence to run into someone who will actually admit to being a bad judge of character. While I won’t necessarily admit to it, I can recall isolated incidents in which the thought came into undeniable question.

My very first best friend in elementary school dumped me one day for higher ground. Quite literally. One day she decided the cool thing to do was walk around the outer wood-ledged perimeter of the playground with her new and not me, “bestest” friend (she didn’t have a substantial grasp of grammar in fourth grade). It happened again, but in slightly more mature terms in high school, subsequently in college, and several times after that. But it was never as one-sided as that initial, ego-collapsing first time. Perhaps out of precedence comes vigor.

Some of these incidents involved falling outs, but many of them were just due simply to time constraints and distance. But the ones that cause the most impact are those in which I thought something different of the person’s character than actually true. Neither harm nor fault I suppose, just a friend lost.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

anything in particular spark this post? everything ok? lemme know. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home