Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The lore, and tidings of yore


The bitterly chilly winds snapping back and forth impetuously through tree branches, darting back and forth childishly, irradiates rather ironically, an aura of warmth and comfort (especially since I’m inside enjoying the modern convenience of electric heat). This time of year always induces such nostalgia for the things that once were, and continue to be. I’m constantly reminded of them if I care to take notice. There is the shimmering, nervous dance of lights teetering back and forth on frost-laden shrubbery, the hearty crowds that perform their own ritual rite in expectation of a discount, and of course the overflow of maximum capacity in church on Sundays by the “Chreasters” (for those who may be unfamiliar with the term, the people whom out of emotional obligation, only attend church twice a year). Many of my friends as well as my parents now fall into this category; interestingly enough, I’m the only one in my immediate family who attends with any regularity. But I suppose that faith comes in many forms, and that this season does not hold the same value in all our hearts. Moreover, judgment of will and moral indebtedness should not be an underlying motivation.

Taking a step away from my orate for a moment (though I’m sure everyone is well accustomed to my wildly tangential moments) I love everything about this time of year; the weather, the merriment and rosy cheeks of children, and even the attempt at cordialness between people for the sake of the season. This was a somewhat long-winded route to express how I feel about this time of year, but it served its purpose; I started the morning with some Christmas cheer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home