Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bridges


Out of pure Catholicism induced guilt as well as intrinsic harboring of that much dreaded sentiment, I’m updating my blog, finally. It’s been 24 days, 10 hours, and a few dashes of minutes thrown into the simmering pot, since my move from St. Louis to Des Plaines.

New and opportunistic employment status brings me back to this blue state that I’ve spent 11/12ths of my life in and will forever keep fond memories of, no matter what life course I happen to diverge upon in the future. For the time being I’ve spent a lot of time doing seemingly “boring” family things like accompanying my parents on their errands, finally being close enough in locality to hang out with my sister frequently, and catching up with an old friend here and there.

The big news for Cook County as well as anyone who has ever worked on public health initiatives is the
new smoking ban just implemented by city ordinance as of yesterday. Kudos to Chicago for saddling up with the American Cancer Society and therefore looking out for the best interests of people rather than commercial interests; i.e. restaurant enterprises (even though they have a “phase in” period that won’t fully take effect until 2008). It’s gargantuan step in the right direction, and for that I’m proud to be one of the newest residents of this county; that is, until I next hear of a sadistic crime in occurrence on the never-ending slurry of news events that are of that sort.

Though I dearly miss my co-workers turned friends in St. Louis, I’m quickly finding that I might inexplicably fit into the social schema of this office as well. I’d like to attribute that to my chameleon-like abilities, but it’s really more so that I’ve just happened upon a very warm and caring group of people. There are so many things that I’ll of course covet dearly that could only be traced back to what I’ve recently left, but there’s no way to know if I won’t have those again sometime soon. For now, the bridge from past to present is me, and I believe that this sturdy frame will hold just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home