Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The little city that could... and things I'll miss about it.


*Brisk morning jogs through Forest Park

*Co-workers who lend a sympathetic heart when yet again, this academic hierarchy that I work for takes advantage of my passiveness.

*The people I’ve met and befriended, who in just two short years, have managed to shape who I am in innumerable ways.

*Being able to walk everywhere.

*The ability to buy hand-dipped ice cream at two-thirty in the morning.

*Living in a neighborhood where heterosexuals are the minority.

*Being able to (mostly jokingly) stereotype people based strictly on their location of residence.

*The option to run an errand, make a doctor’s appointment, or simply go home for lunch during the middle of the workday.

*The ten-cent price differential in gas prices between here and Chicago.

*My version of the “Cheers” bar, and weekday happy hours just for the heck of it.

*Being able to meet my boyfriend for lunch or an afternoon matinee.

*Having friends who don’t remember the person I was back then.

*Not seeing my expectant friend’s baby when he/she is finally born.

*Not going to see my favorite local band, of which a good friend is the bassist.

*Going to Cardinals’ games.

*Living in a place where it’s completely appropriate and acceptable to wear red for entire length of the baseball season.

*Having established a life that is all my own in the making

*Being able to answer the question “How did you come to live here?” with: “No premise at all, I pretty much decided the week before the move”.

*Encapsulated by people whose normal vocabulary include words like “population endemic, linear regression analysis, or case-control study”.

*Being Catholic in a Catholic town.

*Going to a school where I was definitely not treated as a number. And even if I were, that number would be somewhere between 1 and 42.

*Setting my own hours to match my own naturally geriatric habits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home