Friday, March 18, 2005

The depths of humanity


As much as severe school anxiety has begun to set in and the long hours of preparing for exams has become agitatingly monotonous, I am surprised to find that I actually enjoy my Social Responsibility course that I alluded to in a prior post. The second 8-5 class met today in the actual neighborhood that we are involved with. It was also the second time that I found myself tearing up during the middle of lecture.

Yes, praxis theory and action is something that I'm well familiar with having gone to a Lutheran college, but to actually see it in place, to almost taste it on tip of the tongue; that is new and unexplored territory. We saw time tested Christian ideology and faith based practice intermingle almost seamlessly into modern day intervention. Moreover, the pieces where frays are still evident, we use trial and error to mend.

Most of all, there was this dichotomy of emotion that I really try to balance. On one side was the tremendous hope for humanity, that with enough love we can revitalize a neighborhood, but even more importantly a general morale of the people. However, on the other side I saw the enormity of it all, the depths of caverns that we will never reach, not in our lifetime, and not in our childrens' children. Just the unfairness of it all spoke verbosely and loudly. To grow up in a first world country is such a gift that I take for granted every day, while people in Peru or South America or Southeast Asia are forced to deal with injustices such as choosing between their health and being able to put a meal on the table for their families. But even more so detrimental to the ego is that because of our richness of resources and international prowess, we ENFORCE these circumstances in certain situations; ie, our discussion of a Missouri based lead smelting company in Peru that has remedied it's practices in the US according to EPA standards, but continues to adversely impose known hazardous compounds onto Peruvian populations. It's a ghastly, horrendous business practice that is entirely too common, and honestly makes me sick to my stomach that we let such things come about. Our consciences are alleviated when we put that extra 88 cents into the jar at the grocery store for needy children, but how often do we think where our clothing is made, and under what conditions?

I don't seek a solution where this none, and I know progress and education are being put forth at valiant effort, but with this enlightenment also comes great guilt. With continued effort, maybe the balance between hope and guilt will finally settle to a medium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home