Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Quel jour!!

If I didn't believe it before, I am a convert now; the U.S. government takes their military seriously. So I had my general physical today as part of the process for applying to be a commissioned Healthcare administrator or Environmental Health officer (in essence I'd be delegating from behind a desk all day, don't conjure up any scary images of warfare/combat and such). However, everyone who enlists in the Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and Army, including Reserves must pass the same physical requirements and be at one standard, it's only fair. Apparently this is easy for some but not for others. Of the only other officer-to-be there today, everyone else had gone through some kind of boot camp already (I won't have to do this).

They had us meet at the downtown office at promptly 0500 this morning, after a 24 hour fast. Every fifteen minutes we were either shuffled to take a lab test, sampled or interviewed. The medical questionnaire was ten pages long, 10-point Helvitica font. Swabs, body fat composition, innumerable diseases and THOROUGH examinations were done. As a side note, I found out that I have little depth perception. Good thing I don't want to fly a plane or anything. By the middle of the day I was so drained (literally; they had taken about a pint of blood for further sampling) that I seriously felt faint.

Thankfully I passed all the physical requirements (well, barely passed the vision test...) and was scooted to talk to multiple Lieutenants and Captains, assessing my real desire to do this. I was completely honest, that I'm not 100% sure that this is what I want, but who really is? At least I'm not doing it out of lack of other options. But the more I thought about it, even ten hours later as I was just getting out of the building, it seems like a perfect fit. There's structure, I get to work in the Healthcare industry, job stability, great pay and benefits, the list really could go on. But for today, I'm going to focus on maintaining the will to stay conscious for a bit longer and maybe wait on pursuing future goals until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home