Friday, March 17, 2006

I literally have to laugh off sometimes at how much stress we can put on ourselves. It’s four days before our Academy Annual Meeting that will bring 30,000 surgeons, pharmaceutical and industry representatives, residents, fellows, and students alike into the great city of Chicago for a full week (good luck trying to get a reservation anywhere). Tensions around the office have been running high. In fact, yesterday when I called down to our Convention Services department, I was verbally reprimanded for asking for what I had thought to be a simple request. People are falling ill left and right due to the physiological effects of stress, and moodiness runs amok.

Being that the first four months here have caused me no small amount of tension, it could be readily predicted that these last couple of weeks would take their toll on me even further. This morning I had to hold back tears of frustration when I came in before sunrise only to find five voicemail messages and 24 work related e-mails after I checked my inbox at 8 o'clock last night, about par for the course thus far. All were imminent inquiries eagerly awaiting my attention. Four and a half hours later I had finally sifted through the knolls of telecommunication. After which, much to my own astonishment, I found much hilarity in the situation and promptly took a much needed "recovery break".

I’m quickly learning it’s not stress that should motivate work; motivation should motivate work. A sincere and steady work ethic is all that is needed, and being anxious or tense only exacerbates an already aggravated condition. Or if the stress can’t be squelched, at least fake it for the sake of your fellow colleague. It's much better for everyone all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home