Thursday, May 11, 2006


I schedule very dedicated “me” time during the hours of 4:45 and 6AM, when I get up leisurely, put on comfortable but breathable clothes, and go for a morning run. Most of the time I fall into a mental state of mind similar to meditation; I don’t particularly hear the music that is playing, the noise of the rare passing automobile, or even the subtleties of nature surrounding. It’s just me, steady breathing, and pavement.

On occasion though, it’s not astonishing to be preoccupied with an idea/person/event that also carries me through the minutes just as easily. Today I thought about the perplexing situation of knowing what is ultimately good, or beneficial for you, versus knowing what you “want” at this particular time. As much as I want long term goals to dictate how I will act on a daily basis in order to achieve them, I know for a fact that I’m not that dedicated; or more accurately, maybe in some aspects rather than others. Outwardly it’s easy to resist the sleek, come-hither appeal of a ride on a motorcycle, or the very last chocolate fudge brownie on a plate. The potential consequences of those actions are apparent. But what about acting on an emotional whim? Are these consequences always quite so evident? I could also be complicating a situation that could quite simply be construed as spontaneity; I guess only time will tell…

4 Comments:

At 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your notes with glee and know they are a thing of a particular type of beauty and looking at your picture I know that in your case beauty is not only skin deep. :-) !

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger Sheila said...

Since you posted anonymously, I have no way of contacting you; but I just wanted to express how heartwarming it is to receive a message such as this. Thank you!

 
At 7:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're most welcome, Sheila. I am away across the pond (but in the opposite manor that you might be thinking as i am based in England) for the next two weeks from wednesday,(hooray for flying)but if you like i'll leave a contact next time i am around (i don't mean this in a flippant manor). To be honest i wasn't expecting your comment, so thank you for that. I suppose following my comment i should have. Steve :-)

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Sheila said...

I concur wholeheartedly on the "hooray for flying" comment. What better means of getting around these days than jet setting off to some exotic land on a whim? :) I'm always definitely glad to gain a pen pal, especially one who leaves lighthearted, flattering responses. Have a safe trip!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home