Thursday, May 15, 2008

Words of prey

Sometimes, I get very frustrated. And when I get this way, I’m completely unreasonable and moody. This is how Tuesday started, and how it remained all day until I left the office that day. As with every other day, the elevator down from the 12th floor of the hospital was crammed with people, bags, strollers, and crying children. I didn’t think it unusual that a clinic nurse greeted a family as they maneuvered their way through the crowd of bodies, but was taken aback by the mother’s answer. She matter of factly stated, “of course we’re here, this is our life”, ending in a sighing tone, but still expressionless. I looked down the skinny boy standing next to her, wondering what diagnosis, what condition he had that would cause them to have to schedule clinic visit after clinic visit. I’ll probably never know, since he wasn’t on our service, but as I stepped out of the elevator, I reminded myself that I could voluntarily leave and come back on my own terms, and to not take that for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home