Thursday, May 15, 2008

Out of sheer guilt

Somewhere over the course of these past two years, I stopped writing. I’ve now been reduced to expressing myself through cutesy birthday cards and bullet-pointed reminders on post-it notes. And although I still carry my leather bound journal in my attaché case and the recurring thought nags me to log in and at least start an entry, I haven’t for an embarassingly long time. The situation has even come to setting a daily reminder that comes up in my Outlook calendar, that forces me to “dismiss” it manually.

The main cause for what I believe to be the reason I stopped, is that real life set in. Creativity plays second fiddle to mortgages, flipping laundry, 11 hour workdays, and ansty puppies begging to be fed. Although that’s not to say it hasn’t socially evolved and morphed into other outlets, like speaking to Bingley in my interpretation of a 19th century whimsical English accent.

With an overwhelming potential for bias, my time has passed with great rapidity. Since my last entry, I’ve started and left two jobs, and am now on my fourth vocation since moving down to Houston 22 months ago. (Okay, maybe one of those doesn’t count, because I returned to the first job after work at the cancer hospital). A few months back into clinical research I feel at home again, and working at a children’s hospital definitely does not have any dull moments. And then, with no great surprise in my life, I decided to take on another pet project. I’ve himmed and hawed a little, with the biggest detractor being taking on more debt, but this fall I will start law school. Law, you ask, all whilst giving me a skeptical look. That look is familiar, as I’ve seen it reflected in my own face many times, having never even entertained the idea for a fraction of a second before this last year. These last nine years I’ve dedicated to health care and research, and its about time to branch out of a comfortable niche. So in the spirit of new endeavors, I’m pretty darn excited.

1 Comments:

At 2:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]zdf wetter[/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter online[/url]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home