Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A moment shared


In my own abstracted, usually preoccupied fashion, I intermittently wander into my own thoughts and have trouble finding my way out. Such is the case during short walks, long lectures, with just a smidgeon leftover for unscheduled time therein the day. This I’m very well aware of, and can attest to with multiple scuffs and scrapes from various incidents; mainly uncordial and abrupt trysts with the ground. The obliviousness is rather evident in these circumstances. What I didn’t know, however, is just how much I reveal in simple expression.

I shared a smile with a complete stranger yesterday, a strangely comforting experience. As I walked along, completely unaware of being observed from afar and then from near, I had conjured up a funny memory of which I can’t recall. As I walked by an unobtrusive elderly man waiting patiently at the bus stop, I would have quickly passed by without notice of him, had he not mirrored my expression. It was not a politely pursed lip smile, requisite and reserved for greetings, but rather a look of fanciful bemusement, like he knew my secret.

And maybe he did. But perhaps he was just recollecting his own chimera from experiences past. This I will not know, but I smile at the experience of smiles past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home